Dan #2

Today, I tried to teach Lauther how to fetch on the beach next to camp, but Lieutenant Roberts stopped me straight away. He said that if I don’t tie Lauther up right now then he would nail my hide to a tree, so I did what he said.

After I tied Lauther up, I had a talk with Goodwin. He was the only who really understood how homesick I felt. He too also got put in the military when he was young, so he knows just how I feel. I explained to Goodwin that the Governor clearly explained that we should only take something from the neighbouring natives if we compensate (give them something in return )them.

Soon in my tent, I started collecting things for Waruwi to compensate, like some wool and a needle, a dice and a badge. But I realised that wasn’t enough.

Quickly but slowly, I went up to the Cook, where I asked for some drippings for my boots because I had “sore” feet. The cook told me that I would be eating my own boots if we waste any more food. Besides, he also told me that there was no food there fit to eat (not true). Then, I stole some drippings that were supposed to be for my “sore feet”for Waruwi. The Cook said to give some rations to the Lieutenant.

When I went to the beach where the Lieutenant was standing with his telescope, he said to put the rations in his bag. So I put the rations in his bag. He gave me his telescope to put in his bag, but instead I collected it for Waruwi. Then Lieutenant Roberts declared we were going to the pier. He told me to start banging on the marines, then he told the soldiers to start marching.